- Ideas are visual writing starters created by teachers. They can elicit specific responses or be open-ended.
- There are more than 5,000 Ideas on Write About across all genres and classroom writing purposes!
- Students can search and select a writing Idea shared publicly, or use an Idea from their teacher.
- When students click "Write About" on an Idea page, they are creating a piece of writing (a Post).
- Teachers can search and share Ideas that are available on Write About with their students, or you can CREATE an Idea to meet your class needs.
- Custom Ideas can be used to "assign" writing topics to all your students or to specific classes (via Groups).
- Teachers can view a feed of their students' posts about a custom Idea to quickly read writing for a specific topic or assignment (from the My Ideas area).
FIND AN IDEA
- From the IDEAS area, the All Ideas tab is feed of all the publicly available Ideas.
- Teachers can filter the Grade Level range(s) that are visible to their students from STUDENTS>Content Filtering.
- Scroll down the tiles of images and click on an Idea that you find interesting to open the single Idea page.
- Use the Category and Grade Level filters to narrow your browsing.
- Search Ideas for a particular topic by typing in the term in the search area.
- Use the VISUAL SEARCH filter to see Ideas sorted by Genre and tiles for each Idea Category.
WRITE ABOUT AN IDEA
- Any time you use the "WRITE ABOUT" button on an Idea, you will create a piece of writing (a Post) that will pull in the image, title and details from the Idea to your Post.
- Hover (or tap) on an Idea to quickly use the Write About button from the Idea preview when searching.
- Open the Idea page to see any details added by the teacher and listen to audio included with the Idea.
- Use the big WRITE ABOUT button from the Idea page to start your Post.
SHARE IDEAS TO STUDENTS' HOME PAGE
- Teachers can "PIN" an Idea to their students' Home page area as a quick bookmark.
- Teachers see the "Ideas Pinned for Students" area and students see "Ideas from Mr. Smith" (with your name) immediately when they sign in.
- Teachers can UNPIN Ideas to remove them from their students' Home page by hovering or tapping on the Idea and using the UNPIN button.
- Educators who are connected to the School platform are able to create and share common writing topics that students across your community can easily access and respond to!
- Focus writing reflections and discussions around events, themes, and issues from your School.
- Provide a common starting point for students across any grade/class for challenges or assignments.
- Easily collect and celebrate authentic writing samples and exemplars from all students.
- Make common writing assessments more authentic and accessible for both students and teachers!
SHARE IDEAS TO GROUPS
- Students can Share an Idea to Groups they are part of for classes, projects or interest-based groups. They can share Ideas that they believe the selected Group would also be interested in.
- Teachers can use Share Idea to "assign" or provide differentiated choices to their Class Groups and also participate in collaborative project groups or contribute relevant Ideas to Community Groups.
- Hover (or tap) on an Idea to quickly use the SHARE TO GROUP button from the Idea preview.
- From a single Idea page, you will see the SHARE TO GROUP button.
SAVING AND ORGANIZING IDEAS - IDEA GALLERIES
- Galleries are visual folders for organizing Ideas. Think of them like a "playlist" of writing topics.
- Teachers and Students can create and curate Idea Galleries.
- Hover (or tap) on an Idea to quickly use the ADD TO GALLERY button from the Idea preview.
- From a single Idea page, you will see the ADD TO GALLERY button.
[Learn more about Galleries with the detailed Idea Gallery article.]
CREATE AN IDEA
- Only Teachers can create Ideas, and you will always see the CREATE IDEA button in the top navigation menu.
- Only teachers see the My Ideas area, which also has a shortcut to creating a new Idea.
[See detailed help for Creating Ideas or the Guide To Creating Effective Visual Writing Ideas.]
READ POSTS WRITTEN FROM AN IDEA
- Ideas shared publicly can be written about from students and teachers around the world. Others can see them from the "READ POSTS ABOUT THIS IDEA" link in the Idea footer.
- This is a great way to share authentic Peer Mentor Posts with your students!
- Students will only be able to see Public Posts or Posts from their Class/School peers.
- Teachers will see Public Posts and Posts from their Students or other students in the School.
- When teachers Create an Idea, it will appear in their My Ideas area and include the number of their students who have written a Post from that Idea.
- Use the link to access a feed of your students' Posts written from that Idea.